Monday 27 April 2020

Phoenix- character design







Sketching out with pencil and using watercolour to colour I attempted to design the character of the Phoenix who rises from the ashes of the initial bird character. In the above page I really enjoy the colouring with the reds, green and yellows. I particularly like the bottom design as it’s in flight preparing to catch the cat. These designs also look most like my original bird out of all my drawings which might make the plot easier to follow.


The above designs are again made with watercolour and pencil. I decided that the bottom design would not be as effective as the bird looks very small and not very intimidating or strong. The top design I really like for its vulture like stature as if it is preparing to hunt. I kept the beak long on both drawings so that he Phoenix resembles the bird that features at the beginning of the animation.


This is probably my favourite overall spread. Attempting to gage movement with the same design of the bird in different positions and facing different ways. I really like the subtle shadow and the deep colouring. The tail feathers are also particularly eye catching although I do believe they would be very difficult to animate consistently.

A more basic design but this time considering not using bright vivid colours and instead grey ash tones. I’m not particularly a fan of this as I think although it suggests harmful intent the Phoenix is still meant to be the protagonist of the story and this suggests otherwise.

This is one of my favourite and most unique designs. It’s very much a story in itself and really eye catching. The colouring is more parrot like with allot more green and the tailed feathers are long and flowing. It definitely resembles a mythical creature, but I think it would be confusing to the plot as it does not resemble the bird that it transforms from. It also does not look particularly vengeful of intimidating so it might be hard to believe that it could face the cat unless it was huge in scale.


Finally I began trying to figure out how the Phoenix can emerge from the flames which is going to be very intimidating to animate.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Piece

Below is the link which will take you to my final animation on Vimeo https://vimeo.com/417594072